From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 1995 17:24:39 -0700

I didn't post that message, but Catassi et al in Lancet, Jan. 22, 1994,
vol. 343, pl 200 tested 3500 school children in central Italy and found
an incidence of 1:303 and showed that 2% of these children had elevated
anti-gliadin antibodies.

Colin et al in the SCANDANAVIAN JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY demonstrated
that on follow-up (I think it was 2 years later) about one third of those
patients who had raised antibodies at the first endoscopy, but no villous
atrophy, now had villous atrophy.

That would put your numbers over 1:200

(that was in 28(7):595-8, 1993.

In addition, another study that I can't find right now was done by testing
blood samples from healthy blood donors. Donors with elevated levels were
asked to undergo endoscopic examination. Some refused. Of those who
underwent endoscopy many were identified as having cd. I believe the
ratio was 1:256, all of whom thought themselves healthy enough to be donating
blood. Extrapolating from the number who consented to endoscopy, had the
ratio remained constant, the proportion would have been 1:187. Please
remember that these were healthy blood donors, not folks in a GI department
of a hospital.

I dont know where the other poster got her/his information, but their
numbers jibe with the ones I've been reading.

I just found that last study. It is: Grodzinsky et. al. "High Prevalence
of Celiac Disease in Healthy Adults Revealed by anti-gliadin Antibodies"
ANNALS OF ALLERGY vol.69, July 1992, p. 66-70.

I hope that is helpful.
Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan