From:
Roy Trumbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 11:18:05 -0800

If you are in an HMO, all referrals are done via your primary
care physician who is affilated with a medical group that is
associated with a hospital. Thus you are locked into that system
even if you could get better care elswhere.

Some employers offer a PPO option in which you may select
doctors who are out of plan and even out of the system. Your
out of pocket costs are higher as they reimburse at a lower
rate. But if you have medical conditions in your family that
are out of the ordinary, it is worth it to seek the treatment
you need.

Some HMOs are better than others and we are all familiar with
the range of competence in the medical profession. It is really
frustrating to have a doctor blow off a compaint and not