From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 20:01:03 -0500

Bean Vegetable Soup

Since I’m the only one in the family who wants to eat beans, I concocted this soup today (no cookbook ideas), and made a huge amount to freeze in individual portions. I ended up with a bowl at dinner tonight, plus 12 containers of 3 cups each.  I would think each of the containers would make a very hearty meal, with a good gluten-free bread and a glass of wine.   Or each container could serve two, as part of a meal. Since I’m unaccustomed to beans, I had to get used to the flavor, but by the end of the bowl, I really liked it, and it has a pleasant aftertaste.    Note: I cook without salt or very litte. This cried out for salt at the table.      If you don’t have a crab pot and don’t want to make so much, cut the recipe.

Maybe this came from some distant memory. I sort of recall my mom using the leg bones from beef, that she got from the butcher, and cooking them in something like this....and then giving them to the dog to gnaw on.
 Pre-soak process: In a very large (crab pot) size soup pot, prepare

1 lb Cranberry Roman Beans

1 lb Lima Beans

1 lb Light Red Kidney Beans

Rinse, cover with water and boil for 2-3 minutes. Cover and let stand for an hour or two. Rinse. Can also follow the bag directions for overnight soaking.

Rinse again. Use same pot for cooking.

Cooking the soup: Add to beans

29 oz can tomato sauce or equivalent

35 oz can plum canned tomatoes or equivalent

1 sliced up small head of cabbage

6-8 cut up carrots

2 cut up peeled potatoes, lg chunks

1 stalk celery in chunks

2 onions in chunks

Using the tomato cans, continue to add water until all veggies are covered.

Stir in several cloves of garlic, smushed and diced

3 bay leaves (remove before serving or freezing)

3-6 fresh basil leaves

few shakes of hot pepper flakes (or chili powder)

a splash of Worcestershire sauce

juice of one small lemon (or half a large)

few shakes of dried parsley (or some fresh parsley)

few shakes of dried dill (or some fresh dill)

heavy shakes of fresh ground pepper

sea salt to taste

 Stir well. Heat until comes to a boil, then lower to simmering, covered. Let cook until all vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally during cooking. Took about 90 minutes to cook, but I let the beans pre-soak longer than an hour.

 Options: Frozen corn kernels added towards the end. Cooked gf pasta (like small shells or macaroni), added to the bowl when serving.  Small meatballs that are seared in a pan before putting them in with the vegetables to cook for the entire time.  Lentils…according to the directions on the package.