From:
Chris Myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:35:58 EST

I hope the  board doesn't mind me sending this stuff time in time again.

The results of a recent study indicate that celiac disease (CD) is twice as
common in patients with dyspepsia, commonly referred to as indigestion, as in
the general population. Therefore, the authors propose that screening for CD
should be considered in all patients with dyspepsia to allow diagnosis and
treatment, since CD is a treatable disease.

Although 30% to 40% of patients with CD (which affects 1 in 200 individuals)
have symptoms of indigestion, the prevalence of CD in patients with problem
was previously unknown.

The findings are based on a study of 517 patients with dyspepsia, who were
given endoscopies and had tissue samples tested for CD. The relative risk for
CD was more than double that of the general population and higher among
women, where the risk increased more than 3-fold.