From:
"Robert F. Eyerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 17:04:51 -0400

Dear Listmembers, So much has been said here about depression and CD, the
biological causes.  I wonder how many of us are really depressed because we
can't eat the things that we used to and that others are eating.  So much
of our lives revolve around food.  I find this aspect of my CD very hard to
accept.  Cooking used to be my whole life.  I have a whole cabinet of
cookbooks and tons of clippings from the old days.  My condition limits me
to eating foods that aren't greasy, spicey, fried, or have lactose.  That
doesn't leave a lot, and I can't gain much weight.  I do have some celiac
cookbooks, but don't find the food very appealing and so many of the
recipes are spicey, fried, etc.  I really do think that a lot of our
depression is caused by our limited diet.  Also, when reading the posts, I
find myself almost becoming a hypochrondriac- am I also going to develop
DH, diabetes, lymphoma, etc.  This aspect I also find very depressing.  I
don't have the energy that I used to and I don't feel well a lot of the
time.  I'm sure that many of us feel the same way and this surely can bring
on depression. Also, this condition makes traveling almost impossible for
some of us.  Need I go on?  Karen from Central NY, USA.  Take care and good
health to all of you.  This list has helped me more than I can say.