From:
Talia Master <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Talia Master <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:17:26 -0500

Thanks for all the helpful responses!  Summary below:

We were in Hawaii last summer (the Big Island and Maui). We
stayed at a friend's timeshare near Lahaina, and ate some meals there, but I
have to say we didn't have any problems wherever we went. There's a lot of
fresh fish to choose from--just be careful about the use of soy sauce. They use
a lot more of it than I would have thought. We did a luau at Old Lahaina Luau
and they were very accommodating. If you register online, you can mention the
need for a GF meal. They then called us before we left to review our options.
And they provide a complete list of dishes with ingredients. The plate they
brought to our son more than made up for the few items on the buffet that he
couldn't eat.

Our favorites in Kauai are in Poipu:  The Beach House
(oh my gosh!) and Keoki's Paradise.  You'll need reservations for Beach
House and I recommend that you make them early.  We would just get to
Keoki's early and never had a problem.
Neither restaurant has a gf menu, but they are knowledgable and I have
not been disappointed.  There's also Duke's in Lihue.  A wonderful salad
bar!

I was in Kauai last march and enjoyed Sweet Maries bakery in
Kapaa. Make sure you swing by when you arrive on the island and stock up as she
has funky hours. But I loved having tasty gluten free dairy free muffins for
breakfast every morning.  I also ate at Brenneckes Beach Boiler in Poipu
Beach and had a lovely gluten free meal. They have great fish dishes.

The Eastside in Kapaa- upscale food at an affordable
price, the owner came out and talked with us, even made me my own appetizer gf
style that the others at the table were having. The fish was great, and the
kaffir lime coconut creme brulee, I am still dreaming about!

Lappert's Ice Cream (more than one location) - As soon as
we mentioned my gf diet, the guy said he'd wash his scoop and let us know what
flavors I could have. (I realize there is a big cc issue at places like this,
but I had some anyway and the mint-choc-chip was great!)

Papaya Natural Foods in Hanalei- many gf options, some
frozen breads, waffles, mixes for cakes/cookies, many BRM items.

Brenneke's @ Poipu Beach- bar/restaurant where the servers
and cooks were great! We ate there three times and I did a burger, mushroom
caps with jumbo shrimp and parmesan and a yummy salad with skewered shrimp and
a balsamic dressing

Boucon's in Hanalei- great sushi! (sadly I forgot my soy
sauce that day)

Kalypso in Hanalei- THE best fish tacos I've ever had, on
corn tortillas. My server was so great, he was concerned about a few
ingredients so hecame back several times to ask questions and show labels. They
didn't have to modify much and I just opted for steamed veggies as a side.

I'm actually on Kauai right now.  This is a very GF friendly island. I found a fabulous ALL
GF bakery: Sweet Marie's on Kapaa. And the most suprising find in a strip
mall right near by. Verde's Restaurant is like Island/Mexican. Almost totally
GF and the staff is very knowledgeable. Chips are homemade and fried in a
designated fryer. Every dish is made from scratch and to order. The chef said
at least 25% of customers are GF. It was very affordable and one of
the best meals we've had. Tonight we're going to try Kintaro's - supposed
to be the best sushi. At the Mariott - we tried Kukui's and
Portofino. Both were very accomodating. I would highly recommend them. All in
all, we've had a great and very safe  experience.

It's been a few years since we've been to Maui or Kauai,
however we found that it was relatively easy to accomodate my daughter's celiac
diet. There's a lot of fresh grilled fish and lots of tropical fruits.
 Most places that serve "authentic" food there serve sides of
macaroni salad and white rice, so there's usually lots of white rice available
for "filler." We found that people tended to be friendlier on Maui and
more accomodating to visitors, so we would just talk to wait staff or cook
staff to get something special made.

 Got a referral from the Westin in Princeville about the Kapalua Bakery
(also on the North Shore) Don't go! Don't waste your time. Yes, they offer
many GF choices....all displayed in the same case, cooked in the
same pans, same utensils too. They have no clue! They even cut the GF
bagels on the same cutting board as their regular bread. They'll even make a
GF pizza. Also, using all the same pans and utensils. I suggested that
they issue a disclaimer that their GF items are completely
cross-contaminated and should only be considered GF to someone making a life style
choice.

However, Dolphins Restaurant (also No. Shore) was
fantastic. They also have GF tamari. Just need to make sure they communicate to the
sushi chef if that's your choice. Their fresh fish is delivered to their
back door. The best ever.

Duke's at the Marriot Resort in Li'hue ahs a gluten-free
menu, and if I remember right, there's a burger place in Puapu (sp?) that
either had a gluten-free menu or was as least really well versed and helpful. I
was there for a week and ate really well.