From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:00:19 -0800

Dear listmembers,
     I have found a little Thai place in New York City that has turned
out to extremely celiac friendly. It is "East Village Thai," on 7th
Street, diagonally across from the celebrated McSorley's, and one
building away from the Ukrainian Church.

             East Village Thai
             32 East 7th Street, between 2nd and 3rd avenues
             Tel. 212-673-4610
             Mon-Thurs 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
             Friday: 11:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
             Saturday: 2 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

     It is a tiny, immaculate place, with only eight seats and truly
wonderful take-out. Before striking out on his own, the chef worked at
Pongsri, a celebrated Thai place downtown. East Village Thai is a
family operation all the way: father cooks, wife and eldest son
assist, and the two pretty daughters work the cash register.
    They could not be nicer. My GF Thai Kitchen fish sauce is kept on
a shelf, and the chef sat down with me one evening to work out what
dishes were GF. I will even see if they will keep a copy of this
posting, so that celiacs can refer to it.
     The food is delicious, very light and flavorful, and always fresh.
     For the benefit of any celiac who wanders in, tourist or New
Yorker, I have left at the restaurant two bottles of GF fish sauce.
Just ask that all your dishes be made with "Mary's special fish sauce."
     A few warnings:
     - avoid stirfried dishes, because of cross-contamination from
other dishes made in the wok. All other dishes are made in pans that
are washed between every order - I've witnessed it. I tell you, that
place is CLEAN!
     - for the lactose intolerant, make sure you request that only
coconut milk be used in the utterly divine curries. The chef sometimes
cuts coconut milk with skim cow's milk, catering to depraved American
tastes and food fears. Emphasize that you are allergic to milk. The
daughters speak perfect English, and are always willing to help.
    Happy eating.
                              Regards to all,
                                   Mary
    A LIST OF SAFE DISHES AT EAST VILLAGE THAI, AS PERSONALLY
CERTIFIED BY MARY, WHO HAS EATEN HER WAY THROUGH THE MENU

Appetizers
     - Tao Hoo Tod (fried bean curd w/ spicy tamarind sauce and ground
       peanut)
     - Satae (chicken skewers with cucumber salad and special peanut sauce)

Soups
     - Tao Hoo (chicken broth with bean curd, chicken and water cress
     - Mixed vegetable (with chicken broth)
     - Tom Kar (made with coconut milk and spices)
     - Tom Yum (Thai style hot and sour soup, with Thai chilis and
       lemongrass). My favorite.

Thai Traditional Salads
      - Thai salad (vegetables, deep fried bean curd - see above -
        peanut dressing)
      - Yum Woon Sen (minced pork and shrimp mixed vegetables, chilis
        and peanuts)
      - Laab (spicy ground chicken or pork)
      - Yum Nur (grilled steak slices with onion, cucumber, chilies,
        lime juice, etc)
      - Yum Seafood (see above)

ENTREES
    None, all stirfried.

VEGETABLES
    Gang Pak (vegetables in Thai red curry sauce)
    The rest are all stirfried and not GF

THAI CURRIES
    ALL are GF.
    Red Curry
    Green Curry
    Jungle Curry
    Gang Ka Ree (yellow curry powder is GF, contains cornstarch)
    Gang Sub Pa Rod (with pineapple)
    Gang Masaman (with avocado & peanut)
    Gang Panang

FISH SPECIALTIES
     None. All are coated in flour and deep fried.

DUCK
     None. All are coated with flour and deep fried.

HOUSE SPECIALTIES
     - Nam Sod (minced spicy pork with peanut)
     - Num Tok Beef (Grilled beef with hot chili, mint and ground
       toasted rice)

FRIED RICE
     None. All are stirfried.

NOODLES