From:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:24:16 -0700

This is a very delayed summary of my original post from July 11th.  I
apologize for this.   I was rather disappointed from the responses in  that
it seems that obtaining a gluten free, soy free, without a million carbs or
calories protein bar is so much out of reach.  Most of the responses were in
fact others who wanted to make sure that if I found out about something
available that fit this criteria, they would surely like to hear about it.

A few people mentioned that soy can disrupt the thyroid and that it just
does not seem good for you.

One person recommended rice protein powder.  This actually sounds like a
very good idea and I would like to know a brand which is available and where
to purchase it.  This however still doesn't solve the problem that a protein
bar is "portable" and can be grabbed on the go so to speak.

Alpsnqack is gluten & Wheat free has no peanuts or soy is vegan and
kosher. Has no preservatives in it.
You can order one case for$ 1.00 each, case of 36. $ 36.00 plus
shipping. West coast $7.00 East coast $9.00.This seems like a possible
alternative however the protein grams was low, average of 4g per bar.  There
are many different flavors and they all sound good.  Average carob's 30!

The best high protein bars, containing the highest quality protein, I make
myself. It's homemade beef jerky. They are easy to make and not labor
intensive, and totally gluten free. They store at room temperature in
nothing more than a paper bag. Also they are not fake food, no glycerin,
etc, like the food substitute bars. If you'd like a recipe, let me know.
Very easy to do.

Another portable protein snack you can easily make is hard-boiled eggs. Very
convenient. Or if you can tolerate dairy, take a serving of cream cheese,
regular or fat-free, and roll in chopped almonds. Like the eggs, these bars
need to be kept in a small cooler or insulated bag if you're not going to be
near a refrigerator. Cream cheese is not a great source of protein, but nuts
are fairly good.
Ener G foods has a good tasting Granola Bar and I don't see soy in the list
of ingredients. I make my own granola bars but the recipe is from the Heart
Association and calls for oats. I use Irish Oats and feel that is safe since
we were told here that Oats from Ireland are processed in a safe clean
place.

I gave up on these an just carry fresh whole almonds with me.

Bumble Bar <http://www.bumblebar.com/bb/1fs/1FS.html>
I don't know if this fits what you are looking for but they list the gluten
free ingredients and I didn't see soy on the ones I checked. Hope this helps
Govinda's bars are all gf. I buy them at Whole Foods. I can't eat soy, so I
looked and looked until finding these. They are more of a nut and fruit bar,
probably healthier than a lot of "protein bars" that are out there. I love
the Hazelnut bar the best.

You can find pemmican recipes at: http://www.paleofood.com/.
Then some general info on pemmican:
http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/pemmican.html