From:
Karen W Hughes
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 09:10:23 -0400

Testing for HLA type can be quite expensive ($600 $700 for
partial testing at the University of Tennessee Hospital,
Knoxville).  While it can give you some risk factors, it can't
diagnose whether or not celiac disease is actually present.
Many people with specific HLA types which are associated with
celiac disease do not have the disease and some people with the
disease don't have the associated HLA marker.  I'm digging into
this area now trying to understand the molecular biology of HLA
genes but its not my area of research.  Perhaps someone else
knows more? Karen Hughes (Geneticist) khughes@utk,edu.