From:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:00:37 -0800

Hello All,

  A couple of weeks ago, we ran out of our 6 month supply of Cocoa Puffs cereal, which is my 13 year old daughter's favorite cereal.
  I had forgotten about the added wheat that this cereal now contains and I purchased a box.  When I got home and realized that wheat was in the ingredient list, I contacted General Mills and inquired about the wheat that is now listed.  Wheat is listed about the second to last ingredient in the list, somewhere between Vitia min D and Vitamin E.  I asked them if they just put it on there because of potential cross contamination, or if it really is an actual ingredient in the cereal.  Of course their response was, yes, wheat is now an added ingredient in Cocoa Puffs.

  So, off I went to the grocery store today to try and find some kind of substitute for Cocoa Puffs.  My daughter used to like Cocoa Pebbles, but it's sort of our last resort.
  After looking at just about every box of cereal, I picked up the "Reduced Sugar Cocoa Puffs with 75% less sugar.  Well, interestingly enough, the ingredients are almost identical to the original Cocoa Puffs but NO wheat.  I had to read the label 4 times just to be sure.

  It makes me really wonder about the original Cocoa Puffs.  I'm wondering if food manufacturer's are starting to list wheat as one of the last ingredients to protect themselves from accusations, or so that they don't have to deal with all of the calls and letters about  hidden ingredients causing reactions etc.  Just wondering.....

  Have a great day,

  Beth
  El Dorado Hills, CA
  P.S.  I'm wondering if I should go stock up on the "less sugar cocoa puffs" before they change the ingredients on these too?

  Anyway, we're going to try the Reduced Sugar Cocoa Puffs tomorrow!