From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 14:28:52 +0100

Half a medium cauliflower
2 tbs rice flour
1 tbs cooking oil (try olive oil, sunflower oil, corn oil etc)
150 ml (1/4 pint english) milk
mace
100 grams (4 oz) grated cheese (a strong cheddar is excellent for this)
3 large eggs or 4 medium eggs (you can use one more, after that I find
   it gets too eggy)
salt and pepper

Turn on the oven to 200 C (400 F).  Oil and flour the
soufflee dish (or an ovenproof dish which will take about
twice the volume of the final mix - but deep rather than
wide).

Divide the cauliflower into small florets and boil lightly
for 3 minutes so they are cooked but still crisp.

Make the roux.  Put the oil and flour into a saucepan and
turn on a medium heat under it.  Let the flour JUST begin
to fry slightly and add the milk whisking briskly to get
all the lumps out season to taste with salt, pepper and
mace, stir in the cheese and remove from the heat.

Separate  the eggs.  Add the yolks to the cheese roux
mixture, stir well then stir in the cauliflower.

Whisk the whites in a bowl until they can just be turned
upside down without moving. Too hard and it's difficult
to fold them in, too soft and the soufflee will collapse.

Fold roux miture and egg whites together with a metal spoon
and pour the mix into the prepared dish.  Bake for 20 -25
mins.

You can take a few liberties with this soufflee but really
you should always make sure everyone is present before
beating the whites and baking the soufflee.  That way they
get to appreciate your brilliance as a chef - let me say
that this is the easiest way to do that I know of!

Bon appetit

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209