From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:21:15 -0400

A friend of mine wrote to me about a new outlet for
gluten-free foods, a company based in Great Britain
called Lifestyle Foods.  Their selection of products is
large, so she is anxious to order from them, but she
has some serious questions about the ingredients
because "wheat starch" is listed.

The company says they use Sanostar A-starch made
by Kroner Starke Co.  The A-starch contains 0.3%
gluten, which complies with the "Codex Alimentanius".

I typed "Codex Alimentanius" into my browser, but
there were no results to display.

In Europe, a small percentage of gluten may be in
foods that are labeled "gluten-free", while in America,
there is zero tolerance in gluten-free labeling.  The
spokesman from Lifestyle Foods, Marc, states that it is
impossible to measure "zero" gluten in a product.  He
further asserts that foods like corn, which may be
genetically altered, contain more wheat gluten than their
Sanostar wheat starch.

My questions are these...
What are the Codex Alimentanius guidelines?
Has anyone purchased foods from Lifestyle?  If so, did
you have any bad reactions?
Do you feel it is safe to order from this company?

Connie Sarros
http://www.wfgf.homestead.com/gf.html