From:
Suzanne Noakes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Noakes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:25:02 -0700

Thank you to everyone who sent ideas for roux.  I'll let you know how the
gumbo turns out! :)

The responses were:

1 reply for arrowroot flour

1 reply for potato starch

2 replies suggesting BH's light bread mixes

5 replies recommending sweet rice flour, one person suggesting that sweet
rice needed just a little less than wheat flour

1 reply recommending cornstarch

1 replies recommending using a commercial bread mix

4  replies recommending rice flour or brown rice flour (there was a caviat
that rice flour burns *very* quickly, so must be supervised closely....one
poster recommended browning the rice flour without oil), though one poster
was dissatisfied with the flavor the rice flour gave the gumbo and was
going to try bean flour (which was another poster's preference) or tapioca
flour, promising to pass it along when the recipe was perfected.

Although my question had to do with a roux for gumbo, a couple of people
expressed concern over hidden gluten in the packaging or the possibility of
cross-contamination in processing, so I'm passing their concerns along to
the list.

=====
Suzanne, mommy to MC, 7/1/97 and Liam, 5/23/00--
"It is no slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us." --Dickens