From:
Brian Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:53:38 -0700

Hi everyone I asked you for pastry and cake recipes using Bette
(Hagman's) Gourmet Four Flour Blend, and received thirteen replies.
Thanks!  Most suggested Bette's newest books, i.e..'The Gluten-Free
Gourmet Bakes Bread' and the revised edition of  'The Gluten-Free
Gourmet' but since I have 'enough' gf cook books I welcomed the more
practical advice that the Four Flour Blend can be used as a substitute,
cup-for-cup, in any recipe calling for wheat flour ... adding a half
teaspoon of xanthum gum for texture.

Last night I made an apple-pie crust forgetting to add the xanthum gum.
The pastry was nice to work with, and when cooked tasted delicious.  The
result was the closest I have come to the pastry I remember from my pre-
gf days.  It is the best gf flour I have used to date, and probably even
better with the xanthum gum added.  All the respondents were happy with
their own results.

I used Authentic Foods ready-mix "Bette's Gourmet Four Flour Blend" and
since some of you asked where you can buy it.  Here is the 'phone number
Authentic Foods 1 (800)806-4737 or (310)366-7612 Valerie, California