From:
kwkearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:40:46 -0700

I can't thank you all enough for your help regarding my son's conflicting test results. I feel like I have found a world of new friends. It was wonderful.
I received over 30 responses.

A summary of input is:
1. Not all biopsies are positve, even with a positive antibody screen. This does not mean that he does not have celiac. The biopsies could have just been taken from an area where the villae are not damaged.
2. Make sure the dr takes lots of biopsies-8 seemed to come up the most. (my son only had 3 done from his intestine)
3. Biopsies are subjective!  Get a 2nd opinion. (we have sent the biopsies to the University of Maryland-no charge for them to read them and send us a report)
4. Try the gluten free diet and see if it helps him grow and feel better. We will be doing that but testing is still going on and I do not want to mess up the results.
5.One person said the TTG antibody is the last antibody to be positive and is related to intestional damage. (my son's was negative)
6. Several people mentioned having testing done by entrolabs. (gene test and malabsorption).

For an update, my son had an upper GI done after the negative biopsies and it shows that he probably has Crohn's disease. He will be having a colonoscopy-not fun.  Now we are even more confused-does he have celiac and Crohn's?  After the testing he will be going on the GF diet and we will see what happens. More biopsies will obviously be taken during the colonoscopy.

Thank you again, so so much, for your help and support!

Karen