From:
Wayne Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:03:18 GMT

I received 30 replies saying they have lipoma..(small lumps of fat
under the skin basically).

If there really are 3000 subscribers to the celiac list, that makes it
about 1% of people responded yes.

There is no reason to believe that celiacs have any greater instances
of lipoma than the general population. Of course doctors don't
know what causes lipoma, so it would be hard to determine what
does cause it.
-----------------------

Location:
            About one half of people responded had one or two on the
arms, or inner forearms.

One quarter had them on the lower back or upper legs.

About one quarter had them on the back of neck or back shoulders.
------------
Removal:
         Of the 4 people that had them removed (minor surgery), two
people had them grow back to the same size and shape within
one year.

The reason I inquired is that i have one in my lower back, and one
of my brothers who is also celiac has two in his forearms. None of
my relatives (that I know of) has any Lipoma.

Doctors list it as common, but before i got mine, I never heard of them.

Maybe its one of those things people never talk about. Most of the
respondents say they never gave the lumps a second thought after
their doctors said not to worry.

-Wayne-