From:
Susan Lerner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 15:27:59 -0500

I am an intellectual property attorney, specializing in copyright and
trademark.  Taylor Cushman is exactly right!  Posting a proprietary recipe on
a mailing list or through the InterNet can create serious liability for the
poster.  It really is best to approach the individual author or the publisher
to get permission to circulate a recipe.  If you agree to only circulate one
and agree to provide full credit to the author and identify the book and
where it can be purchased, in my experience, most publishers and authors will
grant permission for a one-time circulation.  If  you structure your request
correctly, it is obvious to the publisher and author that you are offering
free publicity and not trying to rip them off.  Best way to contact the
copyright owner for the book is through the publisher.  You can determine who
is the copyright owner by checking the copyright notice which is usually on
the flipside of the title page.  Do it legally!  Good luck.

Susan Lerner