Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:33:34 -0500

I am sending this in parts since it is too large to be accepted as one
e-mail.  Thanks to all you who came to the rescue.   I don't know if you can
"top" this one.  The eggs were very large and that might have helped to make
the egg whites really thick when I beat them.  It RAISED to the top of a
regular angel food cake pan, peeked over a little and never fell.  It is
light and fluffy--exciting.

GF ANGEL FOOD CAKE

1 3/4 cup egg white (or just use 12 eggs whites-large or ex-large).  Beat
until foamy/firm.

*In separate dish:
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ t. cream of tarter
1 cup sugar
*Stir the 3 above ingredients together and add 2 T. at a time to the egg
whites.

In another pan:
1/2 cup potato starch
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
*Mix the 3 above ingredients together. Sift! Add a little at a time over the
egg whites.

3/4 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (I used GF vanilla powder).
Add last--fold in gently.

Bake in ungreased angel food cake pan on lowest rack at 400 degrees for 30
minutes or until done. Run a knife through before putting in oven to remove
air holes. After done, hang upside down for several hours or overnight (can
be less). I use an old-time Pepsi bottle. :)   FYI:  I goofed and didn't
have the temp up to 400 degrees.  I use a convection oven and I guess I took
the default of 325 degrees.  After 30 minutes, I realized and turned it up
to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.  It is perfect so maybe 400 degrees is a
little hot or maybe not.  You can try whatever you think is best.  The
convection 325 degrees is more like 350 degrees in a standard oven.

Other suggestions or recipes from others:

Bette Hagman has a good one in her second or third book.  I have used it for
strawberry short cake too.  I made it in a rectangular pan.  Takes lots of
eggs/
==========
look in any cookbook..esp Julia child...and use cornstarch in place of the
flour or
cake flour.... You can also use "Just Whites"  in place of the egg whites.
==========
One of the earlier Bette Hagman books has an excellent one and you would
never
know it was gluten free.  It holds up very nicely too.  It's so awesome that
we
never put anything on it, just ate it plain.
==========
If you buy a box of Swan potato starch flour at the grocery store, it comes
with an angel food cake mix recipe. That is one cake that actually works
better without wheat flour!

6 eggs
1 1/2 cups sifted sugar
1 1/2 grated lemon rind
3 T lemon juice
1 1/4 cups potato starch flour
1/4 cup boiling water

1. separate eggs. Place egg yolks in mixer Beat until light. Beat in sugar
gradually.
2. Add lemon rind and lemon juice to boiling water. Add to mixture and mix
until thoroughly blended.
3. Fold in flour
4. Beat egg whites until stiff (peaks). Fold gently into mixture.
5. Place it in UNGREASED tube pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
Increase heat to 350 and bake 40 minutes longer.
6. Invert pan and allow to cool.

You really need the special tube pan for it to work, and be sure not to
grease it!

Potato starch flour (swan) makes great gravies, sauces, and soups too. It
dissolves really easily.
==========
Roben Ryeberg has a book called the gf kitchen and there is an angel food
cake in there.  I don't think I have made it. I did make one from a mix that
was ok.
==========
This is a sponge cake (w/ yolks & whites) but very just as impressive.  Easy
to make.  Bev in Milwaukee

Sponge Cake
Manischewitz Potato Starch Box
      8 extra large eggs, separated
1 1/2 c. sifted sugar
      3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
      1 full cup potato starch, sifted
         Dash of salt

Separate the eggs. Beat yolks for 2 min. at high speed.  Add sugar, lemon
juice & rind.  Mix for 2 min. at medium speed. Add potato starch & mix for 2
min. longer. Set aside.  Wash beaters well. In a grease free bowl, beat the
egg whites until very stiff.  Gently but thoroughly, fold whites into yolk
mixture.  Place in an ungreased 2- piece tube pan.  Run a knife through the
batter to remove air pockets.
Bake at 350º for 55-65 min., or until cake springs back when firmly touched
w/ finger.  (The top will cracked & dry.) Invert pan and cool thoroughly (or
it will fall) before  removing from pan.  (If eggs are not extra large, add
an extra one.)
I have had fair luck substituting corn starch for cake flour using the
recipe in the Betty Crocker recipe book.

Make sure you bake it until it tests done.