Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:06:48 -0400

Last evening my young neighbor came over and we discussed her middle child, a
5 year old boy who has been diagnosed with early, childhood schizophrenia,
and is bi-polar; originally he was diagnosed with Tourettes Syndrome (please
forgive any misspellings).  He is being treated, as is the family for
therapy, by Children's Hospital in Washington.  The parents have joined an
organization for Parents of Mentally disabled children here in Washington,
D.C.

Since my sister has Schizophrenia, and because I have Celiac Sprue, she sent
her blood to Jeff and his group at the U of Utah ([log in to unmask])
who are trying to find the DNA for Celiac Sprue.  During the past five months
on this list the connection between Schizophrenia and Celiac Sprue has come
up a great deal.  My questions are:

Can someone please direct me (and my neighbor when she hooks up her AOL) to
the web sites or articles that discuss/explain the connection between Celiac
Sprue and Schizophrenia/even Tourettes.

Can someone please give me the listserv (if there is one) that is for parents
of children diagnosed with early/childhood Schizophrenia, or Tourettes or
bi-polar.

I explained to my neighbor how amazingly supporting and helpful this (you
all) list is for me and has been.  My housemate calls you all my support
group, and I believe we are.  I would be grateful if I could find such a
group for Peg, my neighbor.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a connection between sprue and schizophrenia is
found and a gf diet can measurably help John?  Knowing that Schizophrenia is
a hereditary condition -- John's grandfather had it and his mother grew up
with a father that had it and the family never discussed this -- Peg is
determined to talk about it, get it out there and deal with it, at the same
time help her highly artistic child understand why he takes all those pills.
 He's much better and they've found a school for him.

Thank you all for your help.  Sarah in Washington, D.C.  [log in to unmask]