From:
Gladys Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gladys Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:23:56 -0400

    The summaries about symbols on gluten free products are interesting  and informative. However, even more important to sensitive celiacs, is the fact that products can contain up to 20 ppm of gluten and still be certified as gluten free.
    What I think we need is a list of dedicated gluten free facilities.  Many times, cleaning the lines after making products containing gluten is not adequate to remove all gluten. Flour gets air borne & remains in the ductwork, on the coil & is definitely on the filter. I have yet to see where any company has ever mentioned changing the filter, along with cleaning the production lines.
    Nature's Path Organic Mesa Sunrise Gluten Free cereal has been my all time favorite. Several years ago, I realized that I was getting hidden gluten from somewhere. Long story short, I traced it to this cereal. It was made in a  facility that also used wheat in other products. Although the lines were cleaned, I still occasionally got enough gluten to affect me. I stopped eating it but kept in touch with them. Recently they completed a gluten free facility & I have not had any more problems.
    There are companies that have a gluten free facility, for instance, Authentic Foods and Purefit Nutrition bars.
    I have heard of brittle diabetics. Well, I am a brittle celiac!

Best Regards,
Gladys Ward