From:
Betty Wyckoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betty Wyckoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:52:26 -0500

FYI

I started taking Beano several years ago for not only when I ate cooked
beans, but several kinds of vegetables--broccoli and cabbage, in
particular.  The ingredient list looked okay.  Last Saturday I bought a
bottle of Bean tablets and listed in the ingredient label was wheat.  I
took the bottle back for a refund.  In response, to my email to the
company about the change in ingredients this is the response I
received.

Dear Ms. Wyckoff,
We are happy to respond to your question regarding the contents of
gluten in Beano.

The Food allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA)
went into effect on January 1, 2006, focusing on the labeling of foods
that contain certain drug allergens.  The United States Congress has
identified wheat as a major food allergen.  Since wheat bran is used in
the process that manufactures the active ingredient in Beano,
Alpha-galactosidase enzyme (aspergillus niger), GlaxoSmithKline made
the decision to list wheat under active ingredients on the new
packaging.  This labeling change does not reflect a change in formula
and is only a labeling change.

We hope this information is helpful and appreciate you taking the time
to contact us.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare

Beano did help take care of some of my stomach discomfort but I still
always had some gas.  Hmm.  Now I know.  One wonders how many other
products are out there like this.

Betty