From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:32:47 -0400

Dear List:

Another round of exchanges affirm that those of us with gluten
intoelrance are prone to many auto-immune disorders, of which
Hashimoto's Disease is one.

The question is whether CD (or gluten enteropathy) comes first, or
Hashimoto's (or other thyroid disorder).  It is a chicken and egg
situation, from what everyone seems to say.

Some practical suggestions:  go to www.About.com and consult Mary
Shomon, the thyroid expert, who publishes a newsletter and has written
"a book" on the subject.

One suggested a book: The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem.  (I am
currently reading it and find it  helpful.)

Most said there was no connection to yeast or to the environment.

A couple said that whether this was caused by radiation would depend on
where the radiation was targeted.  (My recent experience with radiation
was for breast cancer, thus it would not affect the thyroid gland
directly.  On the other hand, I have a birth defect which, during my
childhood and adolescence, was subjected to repeated and overzealous
X-ray.  I am now 62.  I do not for a minute discount the possibility of
my now suffering the long-term effects of this bombardment.)

The MD who discovered this in my case is an environmental allergist in
NYC (I will supply the name on request) who does suspect a connection to
yeast:  In his opinion there is a similarity between the yeast molecule
and the T3 molecule, which causes the body to attack the thyroid
excretion, mistaking it for yeast when stimulated by an imbalance of
yeast in the body.  Thus, his first response to the symptom is to treat
the over-abundance of yeast with Nystatin.  I have been taking Nystatin
in increasing dosages for the past 3 weeks and have experience instant
relief from a whole list of symptoms. (Also eliminating yeast, sugars
and corn completely.)

Nancy in nyc