From:
Joanne E Hameister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 22:12:18 -0400

In the recent summary on tuna  and a recent post quoting FDA regs, it was
stated:

>So the vegetable broth in canned tuna should be gluten-free.
>If hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) has been added to it, then it must
>also be declared as an ingredient.  Also, I believe it is now required
>that the source be listed for hydrolyzed vegetable protein (wheat, corn,
>etc.)

A month ago, I had two cans of Empress Solid White Tuna, packed in water,
bought on the same day off the same shelf in the same store (a large
local chain).  The ingredients on one said: Tuna, water, vegetable broth.
The other: Tuna, water, vegetable broth, HVP. (No source given.)  In
very small print, one was the product of Malaysia, the other a product of
Thailand.   I fed this tuna to my husband, who is not the celiac.

The problem with canned goods is that they can be around for a while and
might be older than the regs and/or have labels left over from prior
recipes which the FDA allows food manufacturers to use up.

I also have heard, but cannot verify, that the requirement of the
declaration of the source of  HVP/HTP/TVP is related to the size of the
product line.

I am not taking issue with anything that was posted.  This is simply
reinforcement and an example of why we should read labels every single
time and call companies when we have questions.

Joanne Hameister