Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:51:46 -0400

Dear Listmembers,

I did not realize I was opening a can of worms when I posted in defense of my
profession and colleagues. I certainly have learned a lot from you!
Realistically, I cannot speak for the 60,000+ RDs in my association, just
like I certainly cannot defend uneducated MDs. However, I still feel that
there are qualified people out there, although obviously not enough.

I apologize for the wrong 800# I gave you. The correct # for the RD Referral
Network is 800-366-1655. They will give you names of RDs in your area. I
personally would be more comfortable contacting an RD in private practice
rather than a hospital based dietitian. As many of you have noticed, working
in a hospital tends to make you stale. Sad but true. (A comfortable job and
paycheck may do that). Therefore, I suggest you contact an RD in private
practice. RDs in private practice, like myself, tend to keep up-to-date on
out-patient clinical nutrition issues because our professional reputations
and businesses depend upon it.

You have an uphill battle and deserve to be dealing with those healthcare
professionals who understand your concerns. I am learning a lot from this
list and wish you all well.

Sandra Fishman, MS, RD