From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:36:10 -0800

Below are the responses I got for traveling in Memphis, Tupelo, MS &
Huntsville, Alabama.  Thank you very much to all those who responded.  I
consider this to be one of the best perks of the list.  (Traveling
information)  Unfortunately I didn't get anything on Huntsville, but
that's where I'll have the most helpful relatives.  I'll report back on
any successes there.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Sidona/Calif.

Memphis:

1)  There is a Wild Oats (natural food grocery) between Poplar and
Perkins between White Station and Yates.  Just in case I'm wrong -- it's
almost two years since I've been there -- you might want to check their
website for the exact location (www.wildoats.com)

I just checked and they are indeed still located on Poplar.  Also, you
can see if they are located near your other travel locations.  Available
on their site is also a GF list (partial -- my local Wild Oats has stuff
they don't mention on the website and of course they don't mention the
various Health Valley, Amy's or Thai Kitchen products that are GF and
available).

Have a good trip and eat safe!

Jane (in Ohio but fond of Memphis, TN)

2)  I lived in Memphis for 14 years.  I've been in Texas for 3 months.
During my moving transition, my husband and I stay at Marriott Residence
Inn, 9314 Poplar Pike, Germantown, TN 38138 1-901-752-0900 Fax:
1-901-312-0579 Reservations:  1-800-331-3131 Joseph M.  Tramontozzi,
Assistant General Manager.  I'd ignore the 800 number and just phone
direct.  Sometimes the 800 operator tells people there are no empty
rooms when there are.  This is a new place.  They have a grocery list
you can fill out.  They will purchase the items before your arrival and
have them in your room when you get there.  The grocery store:  Seessel
by Albertsons is just a walk away.  All the sites are convenient to get
to, as well as the highway to Mississippi (which is only a 10 minutes
drive).  Here is a list of places that have served me gluten-free food.

        Wild Oats on Poplar Ave.  I cannot find the phone number.
        Dairy Queen and Wendy's are just a walk from the Residence Inn
        Dairy Queen, 901-751-1600
        Wendy's, 901-756-1141
        Outback Steakhouse, 1110 N. Germantown Rd.,901-751-9800
        Perkins Family Restaurant, 1340 Germantown Rd. 901-759-5938
        Perkins Family Restaurant, 960 W. Poplar Ave. Collierville
           901-854-5111
        Picadilly Cafeteria, 2055 Exeter Rd. Germantown 901-755-5603
        Romano's Macaroni Grill, 6705 Poplar Ave. Germantown
           901-753-6588
        Steak and Ale on Poplar Ave.  I cannot find the phone number

To get to downtown Memphis, from this hotel, just exit the parking lot
onto Poplar Avenue and head west.  It deadends at the Mississippi River
downtown.  About a 30-40 minutes drive.  It's a lot better to avoid
staying in downtown hotels.  I hope you have a great time.  Memphis has
a celiac support group.  Perhaps one of the members will be in touch
with you.  Sandra from Georgetown, Texas

3)  There is a Wild Oats in Memphis. It's located on
Poplar, near the University of Memphis... sorry I am
away at school, so I don't know many restaurants
there.

Nikki

4) You'll be traveling very close to where I live.  I live in Fulton
which is about 18 miles from Tupelo.  I've been trying to think of some
advice on restaurants but really can't recommend any particular ones.  I
do very well at Outback.  There's one in Tupelo.  I also do well at Los
Margaritas on Industrial Rd.  in Tupelo.  There are a couple of Asian
markets in Huntsville, but none that I know of in Tupelo.  On S.
Gloster in Tupelo is the Hancock Health Food Store.  They have never
been much help to me, but you can try it.  The Albertsons Supermarket in
Tupelo has lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.  It's our favorite
grocery.  I haven't been able to find much in Memphis but surely there's
plenty.  Eating at restaurants that prepare fresh food (the better ones)
has been safe for me.  I usually call ahead and speak to the manager of
head chef.  Then they're prepared for me and there are no surprises.

I apologize for being of so little help.  Are you planning to summarize?
I be curious to see what you find out.

Enjoy your trip South.

Ginger