From:
Jordan Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jordan Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 21:57:59 -0500

My partner & I had a wonderful special meal in Sheboygan, WI this
past weekend at Biro. It's a _very_ upscale restaurant (three course
dinner for two, with a half-bottle of a good French wine and tip was,
well let's just say low three figures). Not a place to go often,
perhaps, but great for special occasions.

I called and spoke with the sous chef several weeks in advance,
explaining our multiple needs--gf for me, and vegie/fin fish only for
both of us. We discussed the current menu items (the menu changes
seasonally), and he assured me that he could make me an appropriate
meal. When I made the reservation, I mentioned the conversation as a
reminder. They also got my phone number, so if there had been any
questions, the chef could have called me. I _did not_ lean heavily on
clean pan, grill, etc. when I spoke with him initially, because the
type of food they're preparing really didn't need that sort of
instruction--I merely went over the no wheat, rye, barley,
derivatives, etc. Because this is a high-end restaurant cooking
everything from raw ingredients, I really had no concerns about
mystery marinades, starches, etc. We agreed that when I made our
reservation I would specify the number of courses I wanted
(three-course dinner or five-course "tasting" menu), and he would
create something for me.

Well, it was wonderful. The complimentary "amuse bouche" appetizer
was a fresh roasted tomatillo relish--spicy, peppery, vinegary, but
without any single overpowering flavor. The salad was lightly grilled
ahi tuna on field greens with mango slices and roasted red pepper
strips. The main course was mixed vegetables--fiddle heads, green and
white asparagus, mushrooms, etc., lightly seasoned and steamed en
papillote (a great way to keep a gf meal segregated). Dessert was
heirloom sweet black cherries in port wine gelee. My partner ordered
off the menu--cold spring pea soup (light steamed and coarsely pureed
spring peas with mint and creme fraiche), the chef's daily special of
striped sea bass fillet on a bed of ramen noodles, with fiddle heads
and other vegies (I just don't remember what). It also had some nuts
in it, and after he had ordered the sommelier came out from the
kitchen to be sure neither of us had any sensitivity to nuts. His
dessert was a pair of chocolate mousses (white and bittersweet) with
unsweetened whipped cream. The wine was a 2001 Pouilly-Fume that
proved to be the perfect accompaniment.

If you find yourself in or near Sheboygan, and you're looking for a
truly special meal, Biro should definitely be on your restaurant
list. Their web site is at <http://www.birointernationale.com> and
includes contact information and their current menu. I have no
financial interest in the restaurant, just, as they say, a very
satisfied customer.
--
Joe Ellison