From:
Andrew Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:11:35 -0500

BlankHi everyone~ Well, my appointment & daughter's gastro appointments are over with.  My gastrologist seemed quite knowledgeable - even mentioning things like the 'typical' celiac isn't so typical any more & 'celiacs can be from any nationality' and 'studies are showing that celiac is more common than 1 in 100' etc.  I ended up with the full blood screening (10 vials including the full celiac workup) and I'm scheduled for an gastroscopy (nervous about that one!) & biopsies on April 5th.  He did tell me that I may have healing by then & it may not show any damage, thus I may not get a diagnosis (I've been off gluten since July/August 2005 - on my own after 30+ years of 'Irritable Bowel Syndrome'), however, he also said that even if I don't get a diagnosis, it would be 'prudent' to continue on the GF diet since my health has improved so much while on it.

Now for daughter's (11 yo - stomach aches & pains since age 3-4) appointment today - first I dealt with a know-it-all nurse who *knew* that our daughter just had plain-old tummy aches since 'they're common in children and she doesn't fit the mold for celiac'.  UGH!  (I do hope that she doesn't have celiac but it needs to be ruled out!  She can't live like this nor can I!)  I'd written a concise letter to the doctor ahead of time and because of that letter, her appointment was moved up from April 4 to February 28!  This gastrologist seemed to be more aware of the 'typical' (stereo-typical!) celiac symptoms - i.e. mainly from Scottish heritage (would fit here though) etc.  She didn't like it that I'd already taken daughter off of lactose (what am I to do when no one believes what she's going through or offers any other ideas/help???) and is going to have her tested to see if her trouble w/ lactose is real or not.  Whatever!  DD is going to have a stomach ultrasound also (she had x-rays in 2002 and the 'diagnosis' was 'probably a virus').  Sooooooooo... any ideas/feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks for letting me vent!  I needed it!

Dawn -

P.S.  For any other Canadians/Ontarians out there - my gastrologist told me that if one gets the celiac bloodwork done at a hospital blood clinic, there is NO charge!  Otherwise the charges are up to $150!  (I paid $18C in November for the gluten-antibody test.)  Maybe this info is well-known, but just in case it isn't!