From:
Raymond Dmochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raymond Dmochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:20:16 -0400

Sincere thanks to all who responded to my recent post about Wegmans Food
Markets!

Your replies (and suggestions) turned out to be very helpful, and I
REALLY appreciate all your help and support ...

Via the toll-free 1-800-WEGMANS number (as some of you suggested), I was
able to contact the Customer Affairs desk at Wegmans (Ext. 4760) and
request a list of their g-f branded products, which they offered they'd
mail to me, along with info about how they "label" their products.

Kathleen Cervini, Wegmans Consumer Affairs, was very nice in her rapid
e-mail response to my inquiry about labelling issues:

"Not all the products that are gluten free have [the] wellness keys on them.
This is a work in progress. We have over 7600 items that we are attempting
to review for the wellness keys. All the newer items going through our
labeling
department will have the wellness keys, but the older products out there will
have to wait till the old packaging runs out before they are labeled with the
keys.  Hope the information is helpful to you."

In a subsequent reply to Kathleen Cervini, I suggested that Wegmans might want
to publish the list of their g-f products on their web-site.

I also found that a visit to www.wegmans.com provided some additional info
about other gluten-free product lines that they carry.

In my original post, I asked:

I've heard it said that Wegman's supermarket chain is celiac friendly ...
I personally haven't found anything different at MY local store.
Am I missing something?  Is there something special I need to know?