Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:11:14 EDT

As I watched the interviews from the shelters during the last Florida
hurricane, I was surprized to see how prople had really "moved in" with cots,
sleeping bags, televsions, etc.

Those who are new to this list may not be aware of this article on celiacs
and disasters that comes from the Celiac Listserv site. Natural disasters come
in all forms, from water and wind to snow and ice and can happen anywhere in
the country.
We all need to keep an eye on our supplies.

Bev Lieven, Milwaukee

CELIACS & DISASTERS     (from http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/emerg.html)

Please take a few minutes to compile a list that would be helpful to you and
your gluten-free diet if a natural disaster should take place in your area.
Those of us that live in the Miami Valley area of Ohio are at risk for damaging
tornadoes.  Could you manage on a gluten-free diet if the only food available
was at a Red Cross Shelter for a period of time?  Ask anyone that has been
through the Xenia tornado what foods were available.  Our celiac friends in
Florida that were in Hurricane Andrew's path and California's earthquakes are
examples. Are you prepared to leave your home and depend on the Red Cross for your
meals?  Recent natural disasters point up the necessity of considering YOUR
needs as a celiac in special situations.  Think of yourself and be
prepared....just in case!  (Note…While our Wisconsin weather may not move us from our
homes, ice storms, blizzards, and flooding can keep us there for extended periods,
even in metro areas.  And without power, our electric stoves are useless.
Your kit can also save precious time if you have to leave town suddenly to
attend to a family emergency.  The following are guidelines that should be adapted
to your circumstances...bev lieven.)

IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU PREPARE YOUR DISASTER KIT WITH A SUPPLY TO LAST TWO
FULL WEEKS. Keep the items that you would most likely need in an easy to carry
container/s. Possible containers could include a large, covered trash
container, camping backpack or duffel bag. The following are just a few suggestions
to help in making up your celiac disaster kit:

- Medication: Make sure that you have an adequate supply of required
medication.  Place in proper
  containers that are labeled.
- Vitamins:  Enough for several weeks.
- Water:  Water should be stored in plastic containers.  Avoid containers
that will break. Store one
  gallon of water per person per day.  Two quarts for drinking, two quarts
for food preparation and
  sanitation. Purifying agents.
- Pain reliever: A brand that works for you. To help you get through a very
stressful time.
- Dried foods:  Items such as powdered milk, coffee, tea, cocoa, eggs,
cornmeal, rice flour, instant
  potatoes, instant grits, nuts and fruit. Consider packaging up dry
ingredients for a recipe that would
  just need to have water added to the dry ingredients, like pancakes, bread
and muffins. Use heavy
  duty zip type bag so ingredients can be mixed right in the bag.
- Canned fruits and vegetables:  Small cans are best. These are always
available & ready to use.
- Juices:  These are available in single serving boxes or cans.
- Milk:  Powdered or canned are available.
- Canned meat/fish: Salmon and tuna fish are excellent choices as they are
very nutritious foods.
  (Now available in foil pouches, lightweight and easy to open…bev)
- Canned beans: Beans are excellent survival food.
- Canned broths: chicken and turkey broths are excellent.  Use to flavor rice
and as a soup base.
- Stress and comfort foods:  Cookies, hard candy and snacks that are
gluten-free.
- Staples:  Sugar, salt, pepper.
- High energy foods: Jelly, peanut butter, nuts, rice crackers.
- Rice cakes....these will no doubt last forever. (Break into pieces and they
become cereal!..bev)

Rotate the foods in your Celiac Disaster Kit every three to six months to
ensure freshness.

The Red Cross has publications available that would be very helpful in
planning for a disaster.  The publications will offer suggestions for many special
items, tools, first aid kits, sanitation, bedding and clothing.  Contact your
local Red Cross Office nearest your home for a copy of these publications.

Copyright by Michael Jones, Bill Elkus, Jim Lyles, and Lisa Lewis 1996, 1997
- All rights reserved worldwide