From:
Jennifer Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:13:13 -0500

Dear folks:

A few weeks ago I posted a request for bread that resembles whole-wheat
rather than white bread.  I apologize for taking so long to get a
summary together for the list, but better late than never.  First, I
would like to thank the many people who offered ideas.  There is
obviously a demand out there for GF non-white bread!

There was the lone dissenter who said "there is no such thing as a good
gf bread ...".
Maybe she will find the following suggestions helpful - I certainly did!

I'm sorry for not thanking everyone personally. I have a lot of
competition for the
Mac at our house from my teenage sons.

I've tried posting this before, but for some reason, my posts don't
seem to make it, even when they are short enough, and in plain text.  I
hope this one does.

Jennifer

This is in three parts, as it hit the length limit on the list.

1.  Take a look at Bette Hagman's book on baking breads.  Most are
pretty much
blander than I like but The Oregon Bread was my favorite for a while.
I am like you,
I don't know why anyone would eat white bread.  Whole grains please!

2.  I purchased a bread machine and have been pleased with a number of
recipes in the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes bread an some other cookbooks.
  Also do you know about The Gluten Free Pantry?  They make a series of
mixes and The Favorite Sandwich bread has hit the nail on the head for
us.  They are sold pretty widely at health type food stores (Whole
Foods, Wild Oats, etc) or you can get on their website for online
purchasing.

3.  Have you tried Bette Hagman's "The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread?"

4.  We like a bread recipe I found on the Silly Yaks yahoo group.  It
is called
Irene's Sorghum Bread. You can find it in the files on that group
website. I
also add flax seed to every recipe I try to help with taste and texture.

5.   You might try using Montina in your bread for a very nice quality.
One of our ladies says the consistency is almost kneadable like wheat
bread.

  Montina is made by Amazing Grains and you can get information about
them at www.amazinggrains.com or www.montina.com

  It makes a fantastic product and is much more nutritious than a lot of
the other breads.

6.  I just made a mix today that is my favorite bread now.  It's called
Manna From Anna or Breads from Anna, which is her new name.  It's an
easy mix.  I do suggest you use about 1/8 cup less water than on the
recipe and first mix the batter in your mixer (must be a heavy duty
mixer).  After you put the batter in the loaf pan (I prefer the oven to
the bread machine), wet your hand and smooth the batter into the pan so
it will come out smooth.  I added a tablespoon of ground up flax seeds
to the mix today and it came out perfect.

I let it cool, slice with an electric mixer, and freeze the slices.  I
toast when I want a piece of bread.  This mix is the closest I've found
to whole wheat bread.

7.  Try Bette Hagman's Oregon Bread in The Gluten-Free G ourmet Bakes
Bread.

8.  I really enjoy the four flour bean bread from Bette Hageman's
Gluten Gourmet Bread Book (may not be the exact title).  I make up the
four-flour bread mix and measure it into bags for one or two loaves.
Of the variations listed I find that the one using sesame seeds and
molasses results in a darker bread that more closely resembles a whole
wheat loaf.  I think it tastes very good when freshly baked.  Since I
don't eat bread every day, I slice and freeze most of the loaf with
small pieces of waxed paper between the slices for easy removal.  Once
frozen, it usually needs to be toasted to avoid crumbling.  However,
even with a little crumbling, I still think it tastes better than most
of the store bought breads and certainly costs a lot less.

9.  I have found the easiest way to bake bread is to use the
Kinnickknick
bread and bun mix.  The directions say to use 3 parts mix to 2 parts
any liquid.  I use almond milk as my liquid and also add psyllium fiber
( about 1/4 cup) and ground flax (about 1/2 cup) per 2 cups mix.  I
have used this blend successfully in french bread pans (which also make
good sub sandwich roles) and also freeform on a cookie sheet in which
the bread comes out as a cross between a hamburger bun and pita bread.
It takes about 5 minutes to mix up and about 20 minutes to 40 minutes
to bake (no yeast so you don't need to let it rise).  I can even mix it
by hand!  This has made our lives much easier.