From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:55:18 -0500

My question was to ask if there are any known brands of puffed rice (plain
cereal).  As with cross-contamination issues....there always seem to be
some, and it's a personal decision.  I found that while Nature's Path does
not label their puffed rice gluten free, they label quite a few cereals,
including Crispy Rice and Koala Crips, as gluten free. This is because
they *do not* use puffed rice, but use rice flour to make the puffs (not
sure how they do this).  I gather the rice flour they use has fewer cross-
contamination issues than the puffed rice. I am sensitive, and do not
react to the cereal (but maybe I've been lucky with the batches...who
knows--but they're really yummy!)but will not bother to try the puffed
rice.

Below are responses to my post:
=======================================

Arrowhead Mills has had problems with contamination issues in the past.
Part of the problem is that the same type of equipment is required
to 'puff' rice, wheat, corn, etc.  "Puffing" may also be out-sourced since
it a special kind of manufacturing process.

We have used Malt-O-Meal brand puffed rice without a problem. The factory
was redone a few years ago because of production problems and they are at
least aware that contamination can be a problem.  Since they are one of
the major manufacturers of puffed rice in this country, I would suspect
that the sheer volume that is manufactured is helpful in reducing the
contamination. A newer manufacturing environment can't hurt either.
(Everyone who does eat puffed wheat should know what a puffed wheat looks
like.  We also make a point not to eat the  cereal dust in the bottom of
the bag...)

It doesn't seem that a smaller manufacturer couldn't afford separate
equipment for each grain since so little is produced annually.
==========================
Just thought this might be helpful -- every type of puffed
rice (even rice cakes) I have tried, even from utterly
reputable GF sources, makes me sick. I can eat rice cooked
normally, however. So on the chance that this may be true
for you, too, I thought I'd let you know. I think it has
something to do with the amount of air -- or possibly some
way in which processing the rice (cooking for the puff)
alters it in a way that somehow affects me. Such a shame --
as it makes an easy snack, etc., but I've given up and can
no longer even eat rice cakes.
=====================
Alf's Puffed Brown Rice Cereal, I buy it at Wal-Mart, never had a reaction
yet.
=======================
Try Aramanth foods puffed rice.
============================
I live in Ohio and contacted the Kroger Co. about g/f cereals. Their
puffed
rice, according to their dietitian IS gluten free.

==================================
No no no, to Nature's Path puffed rice, corn or millet. They are puffed
on
the same machines and side by side with machines puffing wheat barley
and
kamut. I am recovering as we speak from a long sick winter caused
primarily
by my daily consumption of puffed rice. When I finally contacted the
company, they explained that only their products marked GF are really
GF.
They told me "the puffing process creates an incredible amount of dust"
and
"all our grains are puffed in the facility thus we cannot guarantee
gluten
free status".

================================
Nature Path will not put a gluten-free claim on their puffed cereals even
though the ingredients are gf. They say there could be a very small chance
of cross contamination. Many companies are making this cross contamination
statement to protect from lawsuits which is frustrating for people with
celiac disease or food allergies. Most companies have good quality control
procedures to keep products safe from cross contamination. So it is a
personal decision to consume products that are gluten-free if they are
made in the same plant as products containing gluten.
=======================
Barbara's Brown Rice cereal is gf.
I purchase one from Walmart Brown Puffed Rice and I have had no
problems
with it from Natural Nutriants.

Hi
I am quite sensitive, but I have no problem with Stop & Shop Supermarkets'
own brand of puffed rice.  If you live in New England this might be a good
option for you.