From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 21:31:59 GMT

> Swanson Natural Goodness 100% Fat Free & 1/3 less sodium Chicken Broth
> lists the following:
> Chicken Stock, Salt, Dextrose, Yeast Extract, Chicken Flavor (contains
> autolyzed yeast), Chicken Flavor, Corn Syrup Solids, Chicken Broth Powder.
>
> Progresso and Swanson Chicken Broth. They are both gluten free.
>
> (n.b. I just tried to get an 800 number for Progresso to check on the
> ingredients that seem vague to me, but the 800 info line failed to come up
> with a number. I know they have one, though.)

I was away for a few days, so this is my first chance to jump in an make
a comment about posts that imply a GF status of an item.  The poster
did an excellent job of preparing a summary of replies that she
received.

The US maker of Swanson's Chicken Broth changed its status to NOT GF about
four years ago.  The ingredients listed did not change.  Therefore, the
toxic protein is likely located in the chicken broth, a nebulous term.
I have not checked with the company in the last six months for an update.

The poster does imply that she was unable to contact the company directly
but I fear that many people will only see the words "GF" and not realized
the incomplete details for some of the products.

Rgarding, the other items, I do not have any current information and
can not make a recomendation one way or the other.

Please verify the status of any product that is reported to be GF without
adequate supporting documentation from the company.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA