Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:33:06 -0700

Thank you, Katherine, for this article.  I hope you don't take offense to
my criticisms of this study.  They are not directed at you, only to the
researchers who did it.  My criticism of this study is aimed at the
design of the study & conclusion drawn from the results:

> It is unlikely that there is an association between gluten sensitivity
and schizophrenia.<

Excuse me, but I believe this is BAD SCIENCE.  Did these researchers
bother to put these patients of a trial of the GF diet?  NO!  Did they
test for any other measures of gluten sensitivity in these patients?  NO!
 All they did was measure for the presence of ONE antibody in the blood
then come to the sweeping conclusion that there's no connection between
gluten sensitivity & schizophrenia.  There are other known antibodies
(antigliadin, anti endomesial, etc.) that indicate a sensitivity to
gluten.  And, there are probably a host of other antibodies that we can't
measure because we don't yet know about them.  And, the most significant
test for gluten sensitivity of all is a trial on the GF diet.

So IMHO, the only conclusion that these researchers could honestly have
made from this study was:  This study, as designed, failed to uncover any
evidence of a link between the presence of anti-endomysial IgA antibody
and schizophrenia.  More research is needed to conclusively rule out any
causal relationship between gluten ingestion and schizophrenia.

Case in point: 3 years ago my eldest son had ALL the symptoms of
schizophrenia: auditory & visual hallucinations, unability to think
logically, bizarre behavior, etc.  He was failing all his college classes
and couldn't hold a steady job.  And, all conventional blood work for
celiac disease came out negative.  He did a trial on the GF diet and all
the symptoms of schizophrenia vanished w/i 48  hours.  He's now a senior
at a four year university getting his degree in history while holding
down a part time job.  He remains symptom free unless he messes up on his
diet & ingests gluten.

I'm angry.  Can you tell?  There are so many people suffering from gluten
sensitivity related diseases as well as many other diseases
(hypothyroidism for one) because doctors are relying on bad science like
this reported in PubMed.

Valerie in Tacoma

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!