Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 11:29:16 -0600

My recent question as a result of observations and my experience during a
recent cruise re French toast, scrambled eggs and potato patties.

Summary of Responses

The responses were much the same.  Warnings and experiences.  Some of the

-  would not eat something had I seen the same tong being used as the
potential is more than a potential, I think it is 100% that some trace
amount of gluten would be shared.

-  repeatedly putting this "minimal" contamination in the body would however
add up and could cause eventual harm.

-  idea of egg as a sealant is not valid because the bread is dipped in eggy
milk at which point it contaminates the milk. Each consecutive bread dipped
in the egg milk mixture is adding more crumbs and picking up a higher
concentration of glutenized egg milk mixture.

- 1/8 of a teaspoon can cause damage...even if you don't feel it.

-  that is absolutely cross contamination.

-  As for the potato patti, I would have been more concerned with whether or
not it was GF ( many are frozen and have wheat starch in them) than I would
have been with the use of a shared tong

-  I think it depends how sensitive you are

-  Most recent research indicates (and reconfirms) that an outward reaction
due to contamination has no bearing on internal damage.  What you describe
sounds very risky.

-  The cross contamination danger is definitely there

-  The potential for cross-contamination is very high.  Also, you need to
remember everyone's personal reaction level to gluten is different.

-  Different people have different responses to minute cross contamination.

-  While the risk of contamination is probably only a trace, the reaction is
based on both dose & frequently.  A trace, if consumed daily, would add to
eventually..

-  all you need is one moleucle to get a reaction....consider yourself VERY
lucky

Although the above were pretty well expected what I probably should have
asked is, has the cross contamination issue been thoroughly tested and
documented, where, and by whom?   I am only asking as I have a hard time
believing some of the scenerios one hears about.

Dennis