From:
Teresa Roman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 07:50:38 -0500

I only had 2 responses - but a TON of requests to summerize.

One response told me of this book (Thanks Ann):
"If you want an excellent, nay Definitive, Chinese  cookbook, treat
yourself to Gloria Bley Miller's A THOUSAND RECIPE CHINESE COOKBOOK.  I
bought mind in Tawian thirty years ago....it is still in print and in
paperback.  Her recipes "work" and instructions are clear.  Worth searching
for...I give it as a present to friends who really love Chinese food.

The second response was the following receipe (Thanks, Tom & Pat):

General Tso's Chicken
Serves : 4

1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tbls. water
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (gf)
2 tbls. white vinegar
1/4 cup sherry (optional) could use water instead or more chicken broth
2/3 cup hot chicken broth (gf)
1 1/2 lbs. boned, skinned chicken thighs - cubed
2 tbls. soy sauce (gf)
3/4 tsp. white pepper
1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup diced scallions
6 sm. dried chili peppers - chopped

-Mix cornstarch and water.
-Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, if used, and chicken broth.
-Mix well.
-Refrigerate until needed.
-Mix chicken, soy sauce, white pepper, and egg.
-Add cornstarch to evenly coat chicken
-Deep fry chicken in 350 degree oil until crispy.
-Drain on paper towels.
-Place small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot.
-Add scallions and peppers and stir-fry briefly.
-Pour refrigerated mixture and chicken into wok.
-Simmer and stir until sauce is thick.
recipe modified from the web: http://robbiehaf.com/Recipes/G/236.htm