From:
Deb McManman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb McManman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:59:45 -0500

Hello:

After denying myself carrot cake since being diagnosed six months ago, I
have finally come up with an excellent recipe. I got it from one of Bette
Hagman's books, but altered it somewhat. It is one of the most wonderful
things I have eaten since going gluten-free.

The most delicious gluten-free carrot cake you have ever had:

1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup potato starch
2 cups sugar (I prefer equal parts regular and brown sugar)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 eggs
3 cups finely-shredded carrots
1 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup nuts (optional) or dried fruit

Combine all flours and dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat eggs. Add
carrots and oil and mix well. Add this to the flour mixture and combine.
If batter is thin, add some more rice flour until it is medium-thick and
is not runny.

Pour batter into two greased and rice-floured cake pans or muffin tins. Do
not fill more than halfway full. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or
until toothpick comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes and frost with sour cream or cream cheese frosting, below.

For frosting, you can mix together I pkg. cream cheese okay to use low
fat), 2 tbsp. yogurt, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and after these are blended, add
about 3 tbsp. powdered sugar. Chill and frost onto cooled cake or muffins.