From:
Leanne Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 19:12:39 +0100

>> "Had we not, contrary to our doctor's wishes, put our daughter on a gluten
>> free diet..."
>>
>> The sentence pulled me almost out of my chair.  Why is it that so many
>> medical professionals are against trying a gluten free diet?

Dear Elizabeth,

Celiac sprue is a chronic disorder associated with a life-long sensitivity
to dietary gluten. When this protein or certain peptides derived from it are
ingested, a diffuse mucosal injury results that is characteristic but
nonspecific.Histologically, the villi are shortened and blunted with
decreased absorptive surface area, the crypts are hyperplastic, and the
lamina propria is usually heavily infiltrated with lymphocytes.Please excuse
the medical jargon but it helps to illustrate the importance of a biopsy in
diagnosing Celiac disease. A small intestinal biopsy along with a clinical
response to a gluten free diet are essential for the correct diagnosis of
Celiac disease. If Celiac disease is suspected, I encourage you to have a
small intestinal biopsy. This will give you a definitive diagnosis and you
can at least know what you are dealing with. If your current physician is
not willing to help you I encourage you to see another who will. I am 28
years old and have had three biopsies. They are not pleasant but I believe
they are worth it. I have been on a gluten free diet for approximately 2
years and now have a normal small intestine histologically speaking.I hope I
have been of some help to you. Good Luck!!

Leanne