From:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:16:11 -0400

Here is a summary of the responses:

1 - Everything is moving around down there during pregnancy, so things will
change and not necessarily be diet induced.

2 - Could be a prenatal vitamin causing loose stools

3 - The hormones that stimulate your cycles in the uterus often also act on
the GI tract. Since your body starts putting out
much more progesterone than usual during pregnancy, it could alter the
normal digestive cycle.

4 - I had plenty of loose stools in the early stage of both my pregnancies,
especially the second one. It tends to go away by week 10 or 12.

5 - Your hormone levels are zooming around all over the place right now,
which is enough to cause lots of gastro-related problems. Chances are,
you're just dealing with your body's own version of morning sickness.

6 - Could be giardia, a parasitic infection. Not everything is due to the
obvious (CD or pregnancy).

7 - A growing fetus presses on your bowels which stimulates abdominal
muscles in some individuals.  The baby grows upward and takes up more space
while your bowels are squished up along the back of your abdominal cavity,
and your stomach is squished in front off to the right. When you consider
what our guts have gone through, it makes sense that we might be more
sensitive.

8 - I had very strange bowel movements throughtout pregnancy and still do
when breastfeeding. In early pregnancy, I got extremely sensitive to lactose
and got very loose stools because of that. I also drank more water and that
had an impact, too.

Thank you to all who responded. Your time and thoughtfulness is much
appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Joan