From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 20:44:52 -0400

I know that many of us have the need or desire to avoid more than just
gluten (dairy, corn, meat, etc.) and I have a book that might be of some
interest:

"The All Natural Allergy Cookbook/Dairy-free, Gluten-free" by Jeanne
Marie Martin, Harbour Publishing, 1991.  ISBN 1-55017-144-9

I personally found this to be of more interest as a reference book than a
cookbook (good tip on cooking gas-free beans -- which I haven't been
brave enough to try!) but I do like the way the recipes are coded right
by the names (of the recipes) so that you can tell at a glance whether or
not the recipe is for you.  For example, "Carob-Peppermint Ice-Cream" is
"G-Y-B-Gr" which means Gluten-Yeast-Baking Powder & Baking Soda-Grain
free.  There are also egg and soy free recipes.  This is an excellent
resource for those of you who either didn't cook much (or at all) before
going GF or have had trouble working with alternative ingredients.  As I
said before, I felt that this was a better reference than anything
else and haven't tried many of the recipes since buying it in 1992 but
some of you may feel differently.  However, now that life is slowing down
again, I may just tackle the "Yeasted Rice Bread" recipe...  Happy cooking!

Jane (in VA)