From:
"Diane M. Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:57:22 -0700

Hi everyone--I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of support in response to
my request for information on behalf of our celiac teenager when he stays
in Cambridge and Washington DC--19 & 8 responses respectively, so far.
Both cities sound like wonderful places to be celiac.  To summarize:

Cambridge stores:  Bread & Circus (10 recommendations), Wild Harvest,
Trader Joe's (they started in my state; I love them!), Cambridge Coop.
Cambridge restaurants:  Legal Seafood (5 recommendations), Pho
Republique, South of the Border, Charles Hotel brunch, Noble House in
Brookline, Cottonwood Cafe.
Cambridge other:  contact the Healthy Villi support group (2--and I
will), visit Breadsmith in Newton (bakery which makes GF bread), buy
Tamarind Tree heat-&-serve meals, Gilliam's french rolls and
Harvest-something pies.
MIT:  get a dorm with a kitchen;  MIT has a School of Nutrition.
Five of you wonderful people also offered personal help this summer; I
may be following up with you.  Thank you!

Washington DC stores:  Hugo's, Fresh Fields (Whole Foods)
Washington DC restaurants:  Peacock (Indian), Austin Grille, Cooker
Grille in Bethesda, a good experience from a visitor at Four Provinces.
Washington DC advice:  Thank you all for your suggestions re:  carrying
food to a 4-day competition.  I've decided to take up the organizers'
travel offer.  While I haven't accompanied my child this way since his
first 1st-grade overnight field trip, and while this is not a popular
solution with him at this stage of his life,  my "gut" reaction is that 4
days of nuts and cheese and microwaved meals on the run are not going to
suffice. He's at that stage where he eats an entire jar of salsa with
chips or vegetables or rice for an after-school snack and is still
hungry.  If this were a field trip I would react differently, but it is
an intense national competition, so *just this once* I will do the
over-protective mother thing.  It's reassuring to know that at least some
of you other celiac moms approve. Thank you all for your advice and
support!
--Diane in CA