From:
HENRY W NICKEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 12:44:04 -0500

Kellogg's has a new NutraGrain cereal on the market that may, or may not, be
suitable for celiacs - at least it's worth a shot! Their new, unsweetened,
Almond Raisin variety indicates no problem with the ingredients (whole grain
brown rice, whole grain corn, almonds, glycerine, maltidextrin, calcium
phosphate, salt, and trisodium phosphate) but there is always the cross
contamination during production problem that may prove it's
undoing. I believe Kellogg's efforts at GF Kenmei backfired on them so
severely in public relations that they will no longer take a GF stand with
any of their products under present production procedures. I am told that
Kellogg's makes "every brand every day" which could lead to thoughts of high
percentages of a relatively GF product being substantially contaminated and
unuseable by highly sensitive celiacs. I am satisfied, however, that this
possiblity is so remote as to be inconsequential in view of the fact that
Kellogg's advised me that the minimum production run of any product is one
shift at a rate of 100# per minute. This equates to roughly 60000+ 12 ounce
boxes per day and the chances of purchasing one of the boxes produced early
in the shift by a gluten sensitive Celiac is extremely remote. Consider what
happens to the odds, then, if two, or three continuous shifts of the
product is produced.

The same situation holds for Kellogg's relatively new Temptations which also
seems to be suitable to be considered by Celiacs. The ingredients (corn,
sugar, pecans, high fructose corn syrup, salt, corn syrup, honey, natural
butter flavor and other natural flavors, caramel color [browned sugar], and
peanuts).

My wife, a diagnosed celiac, appears to have no reaction  to either of these
and the opportunity to have some variety in breakfast cereals is appreciated. I
am not, of course, recommending consumption of any such potentially low in
gluten products in large or continuous quantities.

I have been following this Celiac LISTSERV for about a year and only once,
very early on, have I seen any mention of Fearns Baking Mixes from both
white and brown rice, available from health stores. We have found them to be
very acceptable for easy baking of all kinds of pancakes, waffles, cakes etc.
They are located in the Milwaukee area.

I hope this information is of value to some on this list.

Harry <[log in to unmask]>