From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:00:10 -0500

Had lunch today with my family at Gullifty's near Villanova University, just west of Philadelphia, PA. The last time I met them there, I didn't have a chance to ask about gf food and settled for a tomato/mozzarella platter. But this time, I called ahead yesterday. I spoke with Jason, the head  chef at night, and he told me that since everything is made from scratch, I would be safe with chicken, fish, shellfish, etc. sautéed in a frying pan and that if I wanted something grilled, the grill doesn't have sauces on it that would contaminate my meal. Chicken isn't marinated, so I could have chicken on a salad. (I would leave off the blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese, and croutons, of course.) He said they could accommodate me without difficulty. He told me that one or two of their bartenders have celiac and the kitchen knows how to do it right.

Today, when I got there, I asked for Judy, the head chef for today's lunch, and she came out and was absolutely wonderful. She said to order...chicken, fish, whatever......with French fries that she would make fresh in it's own pot of oil. She kept coming out to see if I liked the fries. Heck, I was in French fry heaven! And the salmon was delicious, too. They steamed the broccoli perfectly...and didn't make it a mush. I could have had other vegetables if I wanted.

As we were finishing lunch, the general manager, Kevin, came over to talk with my family, whom he evidently knows personally. (They're regulars.) I told him what a great experience it was and complimented Jason and Judy. (Oops, I forgot to tell him our waitress, Natasha, got it right, too.) The manager said they have a three page article on celiac and gluten-free hanging in the kitchen, because of their employees and customers, and they were very familiar with it.

If you go there, call ahead to make reservations and let them know you're gluten-free. You won't be disappointed. And check the menu on their website. The prices aren't bad, either. My meal was only about $13.

http://www.gulliftys.com/

1149 Lancaster Ave.     Rosemont, PA 19010     (610) 525-1851

*******
*******