From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:05:40 -0500

Your wish is my command.  My mother started making this cake back in the
sixties.  It was based on a James Beard recipe.  I've made it gf.   It
is soooooo good.  When you make it, thank Stella--she was well know for
her baking and this was a crowing achievement.

Stella's Apple cake

4 eggs
1 cup veg oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups corn starch
2 teas cinnamon
1/2 teas freshly grated nutmeg
pinch cloves
1 teas salt
4 cups chopped apples [I  use Mutsu, but you can use any apple that
holds together when baked]
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins, soaked [opt]
2 teas vanilla

Beat eggs and sugar in a heavy duty mixer until light.  Gradually add
oil and beat well.

Add dry ingredients and combine well

Beat in vanilla

Fold in apples, nuts, and raisins if desired  Batter will be very thick

Pour into a bundt pan that has been coated with crisco

Bake at 350 until tests done [start checking after 45 min]

Let rest in pan ten min.  Turn out onto serving plate and cover with glaze

Glaze:

In a heavy pan melt 2 tablespoons butter.  Add 2 T white sugar and 2 T
brown sugar [or 4T white sugar].  Cook over low heat until thick, bubbly
and caramel colored.  Add 2 T heavy cream and 2 teas vanilla.  Stir
while cooking about 1 min.  Spoon over sides and top of cake.  Let  cool
thoroughly before serving.

asude:  I'm going to try making this with almond flour.  I think it
would be even more delicious.