From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:04:39 -0700

     I would like to recap and clarify my posting as to GF travel in
the United Kingdom with the additional information kindly provided by
David Walland and Jane Oswaks.
     GF items (breads, crackers, cookies, ect.) can indeed be ordered
through Boots without a prescription. It takes between 24 to 48 hours.
The original misinformation - direct from Boots' customer service, too
- was cleared up through the efforts of David Walland and the manager
of his local Boots.
     On the other hand, you don't have to go through all that trouble
and waiting. As Jane pointed out, health food stores usually carry a
wide selection of GF items. The bread is expensive, though, around 4
pounds, or approximately $6.50. Jane particularly recomended Holland &
Barrett, a chain of health food stores with an excellent range of items.
     Besides the Marks & Spencer, Tesco and Sainsbury alternatives
recommended in previous postings, you can also shop at Safeway. Their
"Safeway" store brand clearly labels items as gluten-free or suitable
for vegetarian diets.
     I quote in full Jane's mouth-watering description of what she
called the "very best source of GF foods":

     "You must call Lifestyle 01491 411767...actually you can e-mail
them at www.glutenfree.co.uk.  They
have the most amazing things Pain Au Chocolat, fabulous raisin bread,
steamed puddings, cakes, ready to use fresh pastry,  sausage
rolls....their specialty
is GF puff pastry products (fruit slices, etc.).  It's all by mail
(delivered fresh to your door) in a few days.  Excellent...but also
very rich, so I don't
buy it too often, because it's too good!
     "Oh yes, also, I found this great place for sausages. It's called
Simply Sausages and I can't for the life of me find their
brochure....but just call
directory inquiries when you're here...they're in Soho....and I think
they're on Berwick Street. They make probably 50 kinds of sausages and
they have about
10 or so that are gluten free.  Really good to know about here because
the sausages you buy in the market are filled with rusk or bread
crumbs....and
their sausages are really interesting and wonderful.
     "And one more thing...Heinz labels all of their products
"suitable for a gluten free diet" (if that's the case)....their canned
tomato soup is one of the only canned soups here that is gluten free
and it is very good."

     As soon as I read this, I looked up Lifestyle on the web, called
my loyal friends in London, and had them place an absolutely HUGE
order that (I hope) will be waiting for me when I arrive in London on
Friday. Puff pastry - I have't had any since I was diagnosed. I can
hardly wait!
     My grateful thanks to David and Jane.
                                 Mary in NYC