From:
Patricia Lenihan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Lenihan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 01:20:28 +0000

Hello list,
I'm among the truly skeptical when it comes to 'gluten-free' cooking at restaurants (friends who own a restaurant think it's virtually impossible for there to be no cross-contamination), but I'm delighted to report two wonderful experiences in Santa Fe, NM.

The first, truly out-of-this-world place is called Annapurna Ayurvedic Cuisine and Chai House, a vegetarian restaurant in the Casa Solana shopping center at 905 W. Alameda St. Their menu explains that 'Annapurna' is a Sanskrit world  meaning 'complete food.'  Ayurveda is the ancient Indian science of preventive health and also healing. Its focus is to reestablish balance in our systems. The restaurant uses organic, unprocessed, freshly prepared foods that are easy to digest.

I'm telling you, it's heaven. Try the pakora, chutney, kitchari, malaysian stir fry...there are many wonderful completely GF items. I counted 14. The restaurant never uses wheat outright; the only non GF items are made with spelt flour. And there are few.

The house chai is terrific, too. If you sit down and eat a full meal there, topped off with a date carob, apricot, or cranberry ladu, or perhaps a GF almond tart (vegan and gf marsipan tart with cardamom and rose water), you won't feel FULL. Just satisfied and pretty much unhungry for the rest of the day.

The second, more basic, in-a-hurry place, is the Santa Fe Outback steakhouse. Go when DeShawn is the manager in charge (any day except Wednesday), and you will get a great GF meal. They make a point of cleaning off the grill and so on.

Being responsive to people with food sensitivities these days shows GOOD BUSINESS sense, doesn't it?

Enjoy!!
Patricia
ps Joy if you are out there--please contact me. I idiotically lost your email address. [log in to unmask]