From:
Ken and Janet Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 12:38:49 -0800

     I don't know if, or why echinacea should be avoided by
those with auto-immune disorders.  However, echinacea does
boost the immune system, so perhaps it encourages the production
of the "bad" antibodies as well as the good ones?
     I have taken echinacea.  I have noticed a mild allergic reaction
occasionally.  This is not unusual for me as I am allergic to lots
of things.  I have also noticed that the echinacea doesn't really
seem to do anything for me.  In contrast, it really helps my family
members.
     So what I do now, to guard against infection and boost my
immune system, is take garlic capsules.  Two brands that really
seem to work well are Kyolic and Quintessence.  (Raw garlic also
works well, if you don't have a social life and you don't want one.)
Garlic also has natural anti-biotic properties.  I have used it with
great success to fight infections during times when my system
has been so weak that I couldn't tolerate synthetic antibiotics.

Janet Atkins,
Olympia, WA