From:
Tami L Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:45:30 -0400

Hello everyone. I try not be a fear-monger, but I do think it's important for
us to keep abreast of developments in the food and grain industries. This
weekend, I saw an Associated Press article that I've summarized below. As wheat
products are used in new and different ways and become even more widespread, we
as individuals and our "interest" groups must intensify our efforts to make our
needs known and lobby for more effective labeling.

Tami in Minnesota, USA

--

There are golf tees that dissolve in soil. "Chicken" nuggets. Powders and
liquids to make egg-free pastas firmer, shampoos foamier, wrinkles appear

A three-year quota on EU gluten imports effective June 1, 1998 provides US
companies with three years in which to accelerate development of new
wheat-protein products and make wheat gluten profitable again.

Farthest along is development of specialty protein ingredients for cosmetics,
creams, shampoos and other personal care items.  Nancy Jeffries, editor in
chief of the monthly trade magazine Global Cosmetic Industry in New York, says
consumers "are indeed interested in products that contain natural sources. I
think wheat proteins and natural starches are increasingly used in cosmetic and
personal care products. There's definitely a trend."

But the profit potential in the personal-care area is limited, because the
specialty proteins are expensive to develop compared to their market price and
are used in products in relatively small amounts.

As extenders, additives and replacements for other ingredients in foods,
however, wheat gluten and starch could have boundless uses. The products are
finding their way into pastas, cereals, breadings, sauces, gravies, mixes and
other grocery staples.

And still to be plumbed is the future of wheat-based biodegradable resins, the
material that can be formed into cutlery and golf tees. As individuals and
communities confront the shrinkage of landfill space, the potential for the
resins is large.

SOURCE: "Midwest Grain pins its future on innovative wheat products" - By DANA
FIELDS - 08/21/1999 Associated Press Newswires