From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 08:58:59 -0400

At 03:17 AM 6/8/96 -0800, Birgitta Starast-Siili <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I learned that WHEAT is used at least in one of the main spices called
>asafetida/asafoetida.  It is used mostly in dishes containing lentils,
>beans and peas etc. to alleviate their 'airy' effects.

This is true. But, it is mostly used by South Indians.

>I found two different brandnames of asafoetida which both contained wheat
>flour!!  (Unfortunately I did NOT write the brandnames down.)  Most likely
>a lot restaurants use it as a really good spice so watch out!

Most restaurants do not use asafoetida. It's intense taste is not liked by all.

> The owner of
>the store sold me one piece of solid asafoetida of which only a small piece
>(smaller than a pea) is used for one dish.

The Indians that I know only use the solid pure chunk. They bring it back
from India.

But as Birgitta points out, one should include this in the list of questions
to ask when eating in Indian restaurants.

Don Wiss.