From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:39:25 -0500

Okay, rant time....

I just came across a "Question & Answer" page about gluten & CD:

http://www.dietitian.com/gluten.html

Despite her expert status, this dietitian (Joanne Larsen,
MS, RD, LD) is spreading plenty of misinformation.

She's posted a letter, apparently from someone on this list,
which sets her straight on several points (e.g. wheat starch isn't
considered GF in the US; symptoms aren't limited to the list she
provides; diagnosis isn't generally made by x-ray).  But she hasn't
taken back most of her original statements on these topics.  And
she says other things that are misleading or just plain wrong.

For example:

"Diagnosis may also include a colonoscopy (which you mention) where
by the doctor inserts a scope in the rectum to take a biopsy of the
intestinal wall. Typically, the villi flatten out in the intestine
of persons with gluten intolerance. The villi are the absorptive
surfaces for nutrients in the intestinal tract and are also
responsible for resorbing fluid from waste products prior to
excretion."

(Huh?  I only took high school biology, but I think she's confusing
the small and large intestine!)

"...canned chili and soups, canned entrees and packaged
rice mixes all contain some gluten."

(As we know, there are some welcome exceptions that are GF.)

"Even small amounts of regular flour such as the flour used to
bread meat or fish would cause diarrhea."

(We know that eating small amounts of gluten doesn't cause
diarrhea in everyone, even if it's damaging the villi.)

And my favorite, to a diagnosed celiac:

"Some persons tolerate some gluten and by now, you probably
know what foods you can eat."

(So, is she recommending the "trial and error" method?!)

Needless to say, I'm writing to her, but maybe others would also
be interested in checking out the page and sending her their
feedback.  (Citations and references would be especially welcome.)

Eleanor

p.s.  When it comes to health information on the Internet,
there's a common perception that sites run by professionals are
more reliable than information posted by ordinary people.  But
in the case of CD, I've generally found the opposite to be
true.   :(  :(   :(