From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2011 17:36:18 -0400

hello, list -

Have you seen the announcement that Williams-Sonoma will be carrying something called Cup4Cup Gluten-Free Flour starting on Tuesday? A little pricey: $19.95 for a 3lb. sack.

This is Thomas Keller's blend: white and brown rice flour, tapioca and potatoes (??) with potato starch, cornstarch and milk powder. The writer of the squib in the NYTImes on Wednesday said that "it works very well, though the cake textures were more delicate than usual and I found that the pie crust was best rolled somewhat thicker for ease of handling..."

I have eaten French Laundry gluten-free dinner rolls, which are quite good but a bit sweeter than the real thing. I don't know for sure they're made with the blend now going on sale, but I suspect so.

The usual disclaimer applies: I have no commercial interest.

Mary B.
NYC